Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Insanity...

Webster definition:
1
: a deranged state of the mind usually occurring as a specific disorder (as schizophrenia)
2
: such unsoundness of mind or lack of understanding as prevents one from having the mental capacity required by law to enter into a particular relationship, status, or transaction or as removes one from criminal or civil responsibility
3 a
: extreme folly or unreasonableness b: something utterly foolish or unreasonable

I have heard a definition that I like better though:
Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results.

I have several times over the past months said this and felt like I am doing this at work. I am trying to figure a way to break the cycle without completely losing my cool at work and trust me I am right on the edge most days. The funny thing is I go into these meetings expecting to get some kind of resolution and actually move forward, but we end up having the same circular conversation over and over again. What a waste of time...and with the economy in the state that it is now is not the time to be looking for a new job. To top it all off I am going to be eligible for my sabbatical Dec 08 and will be entitled to 6 weeks off with pay. I can also add my vacation time on to that so I will end up being over 2 months off....I think I can stick it out until then. Besides I keep telling myself I can use the time to look for another job.

So where am I going with this...sticking it out and collecting a pay check is really hard for me because I was raised with this crazy thing called a work ethic. I guess I am actually throwing out the question when is enough, enough and when do you just throw in the towel. I was also taught never to quit so in a way I feel like a failure for not making this work, but in the same sentence I am not sure it will ever work.

No comments: