Thursday, June 11, 2009

Did you ever have one of those weeks???

Well most of you know I have been pretty fed up with my job for some time. I need to remember that it has been a dream of mine to work in a field that might some day find a cure for cancer and I am getting to do that. I really enjoy what I do and it is super cool when a patient comes to visit the campus and thanks you for all the hard work you have done. At the end of the day that is all the matters anyway because if one person gets to see their son graduate from college or walk their daughter down the aisle it is worth it in the end. Especially when I have had several loved one's lives taken by cancer. Sometimes it's nice to be reminded that even though you didn't get that extra time to spend with your loved ones you are helping someone else to achieve that goal.

For months now (since Nov. but the topic really heated up in Feb) we have been having discussions (which is a nice way of saying argument) over the performance of one of our assays. You all know how I keep my mouth shut when I feel strongly about something so you can imagine the scene since I have always been convinced that the performance of the assay wasn't up to par. In Feb. one of the scientist called the data into question.....FINALLY today after about 4 months of discussions we came to a conclusion that something is wrong with the assay (mind you I have been saying this all along). It was so awesome to finally be heard and actually have Directors of departments agreeing with what you have to say. I must say that at times in the past months I have felt a little insane and wondered what I am actually doing at this job. Today I was reassured that this wasn't the case and walked away from that meeting feeling that I actually might make a difference in someone's life because I stood by what I believed in. Whether that is the case or not it help me to believe in myself again and realize that I do have a voice to make a difference.

Hopefully I can now quit working 24/7 and enjoy life a bit.

No comments: