Friday, January 16, 2009

Happiness

Yesterday I posted my status on Facebook as "Rashell is grateful that it is my time to be happy" a few minutes later my friend Tony commented saying "Thank God for your foot." As I thought about it I have a lot to be thankful about. This past year alone God has done amazing things in my life and brought me through so much; I have become part of an amazing church community that is like family and I have an amazing family that sticks by me through thick and thin. So really what do I have to be unhappy about? As I thought about it society puts these social pressures on you and no matter how much you do it isn't enough. Why aren't you married, when are you going to have kids and if you have that what about your career, your 401k...I mean does it ever end? When will it be enough to make me happy? I was talking to my Mother’s birth mom the other day who I haven't spoken to in at least a year. The first question out of her mouth was "Have you met someone special?" I was like "NO", but I have a great job that I am good at, I have friends that love me, my dog is awesome, and I got to go home and be with my family this year to celebrate my Brothers marriage. Why is it that the only way I might be happy is if I am married? Don't get me wrong I would love to be married and have a family. I am sure God has a plan for me and I am trying to rest in that and trust that it will happen for me. If it doesn't then so be it he must have bigger things in mind for my life. One thing my parents have instilled in me is that "I would much rather wish I was married then wish I wasn't" For me marriage is a lifetime commitment that I would not enter into lightly and I won't get married for the sake of getting married or because everyone else thinks that I should. Ok now I will get off my soap box, but the point I was trying to make was that I have decided to be happy in this moment of my life. I am the only one that has control of that and I decide Happiness is the way I will go...it is so much easier then being negative all the time. I am going to trust in God and know that is plan is better then mine enjoying the moments he has given me now.

2 comments:

Tony's 2 Cents said...

Great job starting your blog, btw! I can see you are growing in your faith..this will be a great way to track it!

tony

Torikay said...

Go on wit your bad self!! All of this enlightenment comes with 35?? Can't wait ;)