Friday, April 16, 2010

Making Career Advancing Decisions???

A career isn't what it used to be. Who has a job and a life anymore? If you want to make it up the corporate ladder you have to sacrifice some of your personal decisions in order to get the visibility and exposure you need to make it to the next level. Playing the career game means learning the rules and making tough decisions. When is enough, enough? Even when you aren't being asked to make the sacrifice if you don't you will be making a career limiting move by passing up on the opportunity. Oh yeah you always hear there are a lot of other opportunities that are going to be coming up. Until I see it I don't believe it because I have been made those promises before and I have yet to reap the benefits of those "empty" promises.

By now my Mom is reading this and freaking out...don't worry Mom I am not missing any weddings, births, or other family events. (I have learned my lesson missing Summer's wedding I will never live that down)

When Should I take a job that pays less because it means more or you will have more of your own time? How do I know when it's time to say no? How do I know when it's time to go?

Is it worth letting people down, not making plans, and/or hurting the ones you love to stay on top? In my case pay my Vet bills (just kidding kind of)...but when it's you making a living on your own sometimes you feel as if you have to do what you have to do to make that happen.

No comments: